UPM ProFi is the most advanced composite decking producer in developing the circular economy for European plastic-based waste. We take European plastic-based waste and transform it into exceptional outdoor living. By choosing UPM ProFi, you are part of the solution to Europe’s plastic waste and a more sustainable way of living. Since 2020 UPM ProFi is part the EU-wide Circular Plastics Alliance, advancing the circular economy efforts even further.
Sustainable decking by UPM ProFi
Three streams for using recycled materials in composite deck boards
Uniquely sustainable - UPM ProFi Piazza deck boards
- Made from up to 75% recycled post-consumer & post- industrial European plastic & paper based waste
- The cellulose fibres and plastic from label waste collected from across Europe, are combined with recovered HDPE from consumer packaging (e.g. detergent bottles also from within Europe), and re-engineered to provide an ultra-durable core
- 100% recyclable
- Family safe according to EN71-3 toy safety standard
- Made in Germany: locally produced in Europe for Europeans ensuring a low carbon footprint
- ISO 9001, 14001 & 50001 certified production
100% Recyclable Deck Boards - Part of UPM ProFi’s approach to sustainable manufacturing
UPM ProFi deck boards can be recycled into new decking
UPM ProFi recycles all decking waste during production
Where recycling is not possible, UPM ProFi off-cuts or old deck boards can be recycled to energy with normal household waste
Saving water, minimizing packaging, & reducing transport CO2
- Water in the manufacturing process of UPM ProFi is recycled in a closed loop system
- UPM ProFi packaging is kept to a minimum
- By recycling European plastic waste in Europe, transport CO2 levels are kept to a minimum
UPM Biocomposites has been awarded several certificates, including PEFC (PEFC/02-31-173). All UPM Biocomposites certificates are listed on Certificate Finder.
Future beyond fossils
UPM develops renewable and responsible solutions to reduce the world’s reliance on fossil-based materials. UPM ProFi wood plastic composite (WPC) is the first industrial scale solution for self adhesive label waste. The sustainable decking boards are made mainly from recycled materials and are recyclable.
Our products provide sustainable solutions that meet the challenges and opportunities presented by global megatrends. UPM offers several alternatives for fossil-based materials: fibre products, molecular bioproducts, wood products and low-emission energy.
Non-renewable raw materials can be replaced with sustainably produced fibre-based products. UPM uses renewable wood fibres as the main raw material for graphic papers, specialty packaging, labelling materials and biocomposite products.
UPM: a global leader in sustainability
United Nations recognises UPM as one of 36 Global Compact LEAD participants demonstrating world-class commitment to corporate sustainability.
UPM recognised as the industry's most responsible company in the global Dow Jones Sustainability Index.